JollyRoget

Piano, or Guitar?

I play guitar and enjoy rocking out to Bens songs....on the other hand i wish i knew how to play the piano because it would be nice to play sha sha...i think as long as Ben is playing it, its good stuff...thanks for all of the good shows and songs you have played for us

I think that all depends on the mood.  If I'm ready to rock out I will go (electric) guitar all day, sometimes I still listen to restraining bolt.  but if I want something more low key I'm gonna say the keys.

Edited by natNmikol
  • Like 1

I wanna say guitar because I love the rock n' rollin.....but most of my fav BK jams are piano!

Acoustic guitar, although he slays on the pianer.  Saw Ben play solo in Savannah, Georgia in a theatre.  He went back and forth between Piano and acoustic guitar...brought the house down.  One of the coolest concerts I’ve ever been to.  Ben, you remember that one?  We were all in assigned seats and at the end you were just like “everyone come up front.”  Badass.

• Like 3

Seriously!!! I still talk about that gig today!!! SCAD is such a cool school and Savanna such a cool town.... I LOVED that sho and so glad an attendee is on this forum. So I’m not the only one keeping the memory of that night alive !!! :)

• Like 2

Absolutely loved the piano version of Jealous Girl Ben did at a show sometime before Go Fly A Kite came out, hope it’s still online somewhere

This is a hard but very good question. For instance, songs as early as commerce, tx have a place in my heart, but songs you think are piano are (in my opinion) better live like Nothing Happening. There's very bad footage of you playing Nothing Happening during the Horses tour. You forgot the words and being the innocent guy you are, turned around and asked a guy behind you the words! Still really good version. Anyways, I would have to go piano just because it fits the voice that ben has slightly better. Although I'll take Out The Door and On My Way (two very different songs) any day as well. Good question man!

• Like 1

Great question! I'll go with piano. Really dig all of Ben's piano-based songs. The piano/sound seems to help define the song; have it stand out; make it unique. Nothin' much better in life than listening to In Other Words ...

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, JollyRoget said:

Do you like it better when Ben plays piano, or guitar?

Yes. And by that I mean, both.  :D

• Like 1

I like Ben on piano when it comes to recorded music.  It is prettier somehow. But live, I prefer him on the guitar.  There is a certain excitement and rawkness to seeing him play the guitar live.

It really depends on my mood.  It's been quite overcast and rainy where I am lately, so I've been listening to a playlist of BK piano songs.  I tend to do that often, associate certain songs and types of music with the weather.  

@Fluxcapacitor for the win. #drums!! i'm def not the best drummer in the world but shit i love playing 'em! The self-titled album was a huge milestone for me since i played all the instruments. very proud of the drumming on that there disco. bk

• Like 1

I read somewhere that you've played with a charlie watt's drums kit... Is it true ?

Do you know wich rolling stones 's song is a "cousin" of a BK's one ??