tgreene83

The Bens EP (2003) formation and "being Bruised"

Hey Ben and BK fans,  I'm long time super-fan, discovered Kweller after my High School teacher slid me Ben Lee's "Grandpaw Would" album for a listen, many moons ago. One Ben lead to another...(already being a fan of Ben Folds Five, saw them open for Beck on his epic Odelay tour).

Anyway, I'd like to know more fun small facts about the formation (and disbanding) of The Bens in 2003, especially the song Bruised and what that was like to lyrically compose and record. Though I'm quite current with all Lee and Kweller's discography (pulling away slightly from Lee-- Ayahuasca album I couldn't dig into...) The Bens EP is something super special, especially when I look back on their work as individuals.

Bruised is a track that has stuck with me and I'm still listening to it...almost 15 years later. Ben -- Do dish!!

Another other die-hard "Benners" in the house?

Tiffany

• Like 2

hey @tgreene83! hey @frederic-fugen! thanks for the Bens interest... well, first of all, we never really disbanded. we were just never able to get the 3 of us in the same room after Australia! :( but don't worry! we're all still great friends, just very busy with various projects. i still hold out hope for future Bens music. you just never know... as for the history of the band, on monday i am beginning a new blog series called Best Friends. where each week, i put a spotlight on a creator, band or brand that has influenced or shaped me in some way. i will be sure to do one on the Bens in the coming weeks!!! in case you're wondering who I'm featuring on the premier issue this monday: the band Ash. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/10/2018 at 8:20 AM, tgreene83 said:

Hey Ben and BK fans,  I'm long time super-fan, discovered Kweller after my High School teacher slid me Ben Lee's "Grandpaw Would" album for a listen, many moons ago. One Ben lead to another...(already being a fan of Ben Folds Five, saw them open for Beck on his epic Odelay tour).

Anyway, I'd like to know more fun small facts about the formation (and disbanding) of The Bens in 2003, especially the song Bruised and what that was like to lyrically compose and record. Though I'm quite current with all Lee and Kweller's discography (pulling away slightly from Lee-- Ayahuasca album I couldn't dig into...) The Bens EP is something super special, especially when I look back on their work as individuals.

Bruised is a track that has stuck with me and I'm still listening to it...almost 15 years later. Ben -- Do dish!!

Tiffany

I only have The Bens EP that has Bruised, X-fire, Just Pretend, and Stop! on it. Some or all songs make it onto most of my playlists. 

On 2/10/2018 at 8:20 AM, tgreene83 said:

Tiffany

Yep. I think I have that EP on every playlist-Driving, Chillin’, Sleeping....

That Bens EP was my high school jam! I still get that Bruised piano part stuck in my head all the time. 

• Like 1