OldHat

Changing Horses Appreciation Thread

Thread to talk about why you love the most underrated of the albums.

p.s. - October of this year will mark the last time we ever heard from Catfish.  Will he ever make another album???

Ben, not sure if you typically share inspiration behind songs, but will you share the story behind 'I Miss You'?  Was it a new song or was it something from the archives?  The song took a completely different meaning for me in Spring 2012 when I lost my mom to cancer.

• Like 1

I remember listening to ch after only knowing sha sha around two years ago(once again sixteen) but I remember hearing it and honestly rejecting it. I thought it was different and wrong, sort of the way dylan went electric, but now I listen back, and songs like sawdust man, wantin her again, things I like to do, and ballad of Wendy baker gave me the feel of: it's okay to have a little country of folk or any genre to you. Don't be restrained to the type of music you listen to or write because it's still vintage bk and bk is awesome! I love the album now I probably should mention that as well (the slide in Fight is awesome). Thanks for the album BK

@OldHat Thanks for starting this tread! Was surprised by "Changing Horses" when I first listened to it, but really enjoyed it. Love "Gypsy Rose" and "Ballad of Wendy Baker". I remember when I bought the album, it came with a little signed poster; thought that was awesome. Immediately hung it up, front and center in my dorm room. :)

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 8:38 PM, dylanvandals said:

@OldHat Thanks for starting this tread! Was surprised by "Changing Horses" when I first listened to it, but really enjoyed it. Love "Gypsy Rose" and "Ballad of Wendy Baker". I remember when I bought the album, it came with a little signed poster; thought that was awesome. Immediately hung it up, front and center in my dorm room. :)

I was quite skeptical of Changing Horses when Ben talked about it at the merch table after a concert. At the time I was like “naw, I don’t do country”, even though I’m originally from North Carolina LOL. Well, fastforward a few months to a year later when I decided to try it out and was thrilled!  I learned a valuable lesson. Yes, there are genres and styles of music, but no one (artist or appreciator) has to box themself in to one particular style. I’m now much more open to music of all styles and truly appreciate artists’ ability to exhibit the finest qualities of each style even if it’s not a “style” I would listen to on a regular basis (I’m looking at you, Screamo). When the artist is authentic and able to represent the style (or even music that doesn’t even have a defined style/label) it’s so exciting!  I think it’s one reason I’m such a strong supporter of local music now. Music I wouldn’t necessary download is so much different when performed during a live show and I just love seeing artists give it there all day in and day out, even for tiny crowds of 30-50 at a local eatery. I’m always enjoy the energy and the music, even you Screamos 🙂