guitwiz

What are you listening to?

Some cool music coming out right now... and plenty of music to discover from the past.

Listening to Car Seat Headrest's Twin Fantasy. They're reminiscent of 90s Pavement and Modest Mouse, while still sounding fresh. This new album is a re-recording of a 2011 lo-fi release. It's pretty amazing honestly.

It's super rare that there are new bands that I like. I'm all about KISS and 80s metal (Motley Crue, Def Leppard, etc.). In the late 90s I was a DJ on the "alternative" station here in Houston, 107.5 The Buzz. I got into silverchair. Then one of my fellow DJs came back from hosting one of our Wednesday Night Concert Series shows at Urban Art Bar (tickets were $1.07 for these shows), and she's like "Jarod, you're going to like this band" (knowing that I was a silverchair fan), and gave me the Dear Aunt Arctica single from Radish. I did like it! And it turned out for the Wednesday night concert the next week, there was a cancellation, so they invited Radish back. I made sure I was the DJ "host" for that show. I saw the show, talked to Ben, his dad, and the rest of the band, and have been a fan ever since. Over the years I met other Radish fans, and my buddy Jack and I would drive to Dallas to see shows since they didn't make it down our way that often. One time a band named Bowling For Soup was opening up for Radish at a place called The Door. We were standing outside chatting, and I was like, hey let's go check out this opening band for a bit (not thinking I'd like them, because I don't like any new bands except silverchair and Radish). Well Bowling For Soup blew us the fuck away! So I like 3 "new" bands. And it pretty much stayed that way till 2013 when I happened to see this local Houston band called Waterparks opening for someone else I was going to see. They kind of had that pop-punk thing going on, but the songs weren't all that catchy. Just OK. But they were good enough (and funny enough) that I started following them on Twitter. They put out a few really good quality videos for a local band.

Fast forward 2015...Waterparks had signed to a record label and were being managed by the Madden brothers from Good Charlotte. They released an EP, and it was light years ahead of their previous stuff. Well-produced and every song had a hook and were great. They put out two full-length albums after that, and both are perfect as well. I can't for the life of me turn any of my friends on to this band. They can't get past that the songs sound so "pop". I'm surprised I like it too, but they're catchy as fuck. And once I read the lyrics along while listening to the songs, I knew the lyrics are genius as well.

tl;dr WATERPARKS

• Like 1

the new Joshua Hedley is very good. Him and guys like Sam Outlaw and Midland are making great 90's country music that makes my ears happy

the new Migos holds up. it's a lot and can get repetitive, but it's good. Stir Fry is a great song.

Sylvan Esso continues to make magic.

Bermuda Triangle (with Brittney Howard from Alabama Shakes) has some great mellow stuff out there right now.

Dawes will always be a go-to for me.

I don't really listen to new music.  The only new thing that I like and recommend is Diet Cig.

• Like 1

Really digging this new MGMT album. I thought it was p. good at first, but the more I listed, the more into it I am. 

@OldHat Yes! the lees of memory is fantastic. I picked up the new album on vinyl and it hasnt left my turntable since. I used to see Superdrag everytime they came through. I could talk about them all day lol

Other bands on my Heavy rotation shortlist...

Guided by Voices
Local H
Fastball
Dinosaur Jr.
Royal Headache
Nada Surf
The Lemonheads

• Like 1

I've also been listening to a bit of Twang Twang Shock-a-boom and Davíd Garza, another Texas musician.  Davíd's album "This Euphoria" is definitely worth checking out.  He also appeared on Rhett Miller's album "The Instigator."  

Out of curiosity... @Ben, have you ever met Davíd Garza?

• Like 2

I just picked up The War on Drugs album "A Deeper Understanding" and I'm loving it. I know it's been out for about nine months, but I'd never heard any of their stuff. Great band. 

@OldHat no i didn't! but shit, i lovvvvved "Sucked Out". haven't heard that song in yeeeeeears. i need to pull that one up. maybe along with some vintage Placebo.

here's an ecclectic assortment of shizzz i'm listening to....

• Loving all of Kurt Vile's stuff
  • King Krule 6 Feet Beneath The Moon
  • Twenty One Pilots Blurryface
  • Golden Dawn Arkestra Children of the Sun
  • The Get You (unreleased - coming soon on NoiseCo)
  • New Amy Cook (unreleased - coming soon on NoiseCo)
  • Bill Withers Still Bill
  • Otis Redding Pain in My Heart

i'm also on a steady diet of books on tape, podcasts and youtube videos.
i listen to "The Daily" every morning as i prep for the day.

@Seth me and Davíd Garza are verrrrry tight homies.
he's one of the most talented and prolific guys i know. 
i need to do a Best Friends episode on him!

• Like 1

I'm currently listening to Weezer's cover of Africa by Toto.  Kinda funny, they did this after a 14 year old fan started a persistent campaign for it on Twitter. 

On 5/28/2018 at 5:36 PM, Christopher said:

The new Courtney Barnett album is amazing. 

Was coming here to see if anyone else was listening to this! It's definitely my favorite new release of the year. I've seen her live a handful of times and I feel like she just keeps getting better. Such great rock and roll! 

14 hours ago, Dyl said:

Was coming here to see if anyone else was listening to this! It's definitely my favorite new release of the year. I've seen her live a handful of times and I feel like she just keeps getting better. Such great rock and roll! 

Yeah, it's one of those albums where every song is great. No filler at all. I don't really know much about her, I'd only heard a couple of songs off of her first album. Now I've gotta go and buy that record too! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 10:13 PM, Christopher said:

Yeah, it's one of those albums where every song is great. No filler at all. I don't really know much about her, I'd only heard a couple of songs off of her first album. Now I've gotta go and buy that record too! 

I would definitely give this a listen too: https://courtneybarnett.bandcamp.com/album/the-double-ep-a-sea-of-split-peas -- Avant Gardner, if you haven't heard it, is an honest to goodness classic. (This was all pre-first-album material.)

Edited by Dyl
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 6:00 AM, Ben said:

@OldHat no i didn't! but shit, i lovvvvved "Sucked Out". haven't heard that song in yeeeeeears. i need to pull that one up. maybe along with some vintage Placebo.

You need to listen to Head Trip In Every Key, which is in my top 5 records of the 90s.

The Last Of The Steam Powered Train-The Kinks

Simple As This-Jake Bugg

I Spoke As A Child-Todd Snider

Listen Joe-Golden Smog

Married With Children-Oasis

Sam Stone-John Prone

Just Like Tom Thumb Blues-Bob Dylan

newer stuff I've found even though it was all released before I was born except Jake Bugg

A Welsh band the Joy Formidable. Saw them recently in Cardiff and they were awesome. The support Bryde was surprisingly good.