Favorite Ben Kweller Album  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which BK album is your favorite?????

5 hours ago, OldHat said:

I agree on CH’s album art.  I have always wanted a Changing Horses 2 with red album art and a similar motif.  Ben’s voice sounds so good over country tunes...although it sounds good over all kinds of tunes.

Great idea regarding the album art!! 

On 2/10/2018 at 11:58 PM, jfra said:

I'm going to take this seriously and listen to all of the albums again before I just go with my first instinct. I'm almost halfway through Ben Kweller, and it struck me that the drums sound better produced than on the first two albums. It's not the playing, of course (JDK is one of my favorite drummers of all-time), but the drums on the first two sound more distant. On self-titled, they're more thumpy and present, which I like better myself. Any insight, BK?

I also realized in my research that I don't own a physical copy of Ben Kweller. WTF?!

@jfra good observation about the drum sound on Ben Kweller. there are a few reasons... #1 reason: Sha Sha and On My Way were both recorded on 2" analog tape. Ben Kweller was the first album i made with Pro Tools. the digital realm is by nature more punchier. BUT, the micing techniques were different on all 3 albums. Sha Sha had sort-of a 90's micing style, On My Way had a 60's micing style - which is very distant sounding... and Ben Kweller was a more "modern" micing style, fo lack of a better word. and yes, while the drums from Ben Kweller may sound the best... i do agree that my playing could never come close to John David Kent or Fred Eltringham. xoBK

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, guitwiz said:

I feel pretty lonely saying Changing Horses is my favorite. Sha Sha was life-changing when I first heard it. It came to me about the same time as Neutral Milk Hotel, Weezer, Ben Folds and Sufjan Stevens... It opened up a world outside of the top 40 radio. The S/T brought me back to those feelings. And my girlfriend at the time was really into On My Way (joyous High School memories!). But Changing Horses was absolutely amazing.

I remember sitting in a car with friends and reading the liner notes. Something about Ben growing up in Texas (?) and being raised on country music. You can't escape your roots sometimes. Yadda yadda. I'm from Arkansas, so I can relate. My grandma took me to school every morning from 3rd to 7th grade and we'd listen to Merle, George, Conway and all the other classic "real country."

Hearing Changing Horses was a revelation though. It was a blend of that "indie" music that I had come to listen to, with what I grew up on. It was a statement to me that I didn't have to be ashamed of the country music I grew up on. Not to mention the fact that it was REALLY great. 

Time for me to pull out CH and give it another spin! It's been too long.

Changing Horses is a fantastic album!  It had just come out the first time I met Ben when he opened for BNL around 2008. “Some days are aces...some days are faces...and well, some days are 2’s and 3’s...” has been my daily motto. LOL