Christopher

Your First Love (Musically Speaking)

Hey guys! I was just curious to know from ya'll what artist/album it was that initially got you in to music. What opened the floodgates, so to speak? I remember I was about eleven (around 1994) when my mom bought Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits on cassette and it blew my mind. We listened to that 24/7. Eventually, I started getting into Nirvana, Weezer, STP and a lot of other stuff, but that greatest hits album is what introduced me to rock music. What about you guys? 

My first love was Weezer.  The Blue Album came out when I was 12.  A friend from school gave me a copy on cassette.  And I listened to it non-stop.  I would say the only reason why I bought a CD player was because I knew my mother was getting me Pinkerton for my 14th birthday.

So yeah, The Blue Album and Pinkerton were my first two CDs.  Restraining Bolt by Radish was third.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, philip said:

My first love was Weezer.  The Blue Album came out when I was 12.  A friend from school gave me a copy on cassette.  And I listened to it non-stop.  I would say the only reason why I bought a CD player was because I knew my mother was getting me Pinkerton for my 14th birthday.

So yeah, The Blue Album and Pinkerton were my first two CDs.  Restraining Bolt by Radish was third.

Sweet. I absolutely back those three albums 100%. I still have the two Weezer albums on cassette. hahaha

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, philip said:

Same.  I had blue on cd though.  That was the first album where I didn’t just listen to the singles.  I remember sitting, listening to Only in Dreams with headphones on and being completely amazed at the build up and break down. I was hooked from then on.  I taped El Scorcho off the radio and listened to it over and over.  Got the mom to drive me in her van to pick it up from Best Buy. :)

The old weezer boards introduced me to BK.

Edited by OldHat

That's cool that Weezer fans helped to get other fans into BK/Radish. I was never a huge Weezer fan, but a few years ago, some friends of mine recruited me to play drums in a Weezer tribute band, so I started really delving into their music (or at least the songs I was learning). I was amazed by how much Weezer influence there was in Radish songs, especially some of the stuff on Discount Fireworks. It made it easier to learn the songs pretending they were unreleased Radish songs...haha

I'm older than most of you guys, so my first big musical love was (and still is) KISS. Radish being on the same label as KISS, Mercury Records, partially had something to do with me getting into Radish.

Posted (edited)

Add me to the Weezer list. Still remember the first time I heard Undone on Clickradio. Shortly after, green came out and rocked my 7th grade world. Wasn’t too long before I was downloading maladroit demos and posting on Weezernation. It’s there that I learned about Beulah, Neutral Milk, Sufjan Stevens, Ben Folds and our boy Ben Kweller. A band has never disappointed me more, but had likewise never given me such a high. I don’t know where they stand anymore, but I used to say they were part of my “holy trinity:” The Beatles, Weezer and Dr. Dog. Add The Kinks, Bob Dylan and Father John Misty to That list nowadays, but that’s Still the bedrock for everything that came after

Edited by guitwiz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, guitwiz said:

Add me to the Weezer list. Still remember the first time I heard Undone on Clickradio. Shortly after, green came out and rocked my 7th grade world. Wasn’t too long before I was downloading maladroit demos and posting on Weezernation. It’s there that I learned about Beulah, Neutral Milk, Sufjan Stevens, Ben Folds and our boy Ben Kweller. A band has never disappointed me more, but had likewise never given me such a high. I don’t know where they stand anymore, but I used to say they were part of my “holy trinity:” The Beatles, Weezer and Dr. Dog. Add The Kinks, Bob Dylan and Father John Misty to That list nowadays, but that’s Still the bedrock for everything that came after

I love Weezer too, but I agree that they've been pretty disappointing. After "Raditude" and "Hurley", "Everything Will Be Alright In The End"  was a breath of fresh air. I was so hopeful that they would stay on that track. I really enjoyed the white album too. I got about two songs deep into "Pacific Daydream" and I had to turn it off. I wish Rivers would have repeated the line "We belong in the rock world" from "Back To The Shack" to himself a thousand times before he wrote any of those songs. Weezer just comes across to me as disingenuous now. Like they're trying to pander to everyone so they can sell more records. Hopefully, that's not true and they're doing what they love. I just can't get into it. 

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

I love Weezer too, but I agree that they've been pretty disappointing. After "Raditude" and "Hurley", "Everything Will Be Alright In The End"  was a breath of fresh air. I was so hopeful that they would stay on that track. I really enjoyed the white album too. I got about two songs deep into "Pacific Daydream" and I had to turn it off. I wish Rivers would have repeated the line "We belong in the rock world" from "Back To The Shack" to himself a thousand times before he wrote any of those songs. Weezer just comes across to me as disingenuous now. Like they're trying to pander to everyone so they can sell more records. Hopefully, that's not true and they're doing what they love. I just can't get into it. 

Rivers loves the idea of having a hit record. It’s really his passion. So he is doing what he loves. Sadly those efforts are largely bad.

EWBAITE wouldn’t have been good if the album wasn’t focus grouped with hardcore fans. White wouldn’t have been good if it wasn’t produced by a hardcore fan (Jake Sinclair) 

• Like 1

Great question my man. My musical awakening or opening was around 3 years ago. I had a playlist of "pop" songs that actually aren't bad still today like I'm Yours by Jason Mraz or Brian Fennell (musician now of Barcelona) and others. I found this song called Hey There Delilah by The Plain White T's and fell in love. It's pretty poppy to me now, but it still has a spot in my heart. It's the sound I wanted to replicate for my own stuff at the time. With that sound, my dad suggested listening to a song called Lizzy which we all know by BK himself. Instead of me going to listen to it, my dad had to play it for me. I fell even more in love. The guys voice was amazing. I pulled out the rest of Sha Sha and fell in love w songs such as Walk On Me and Falling and Wasted and Ready and basically the whole album (the entire album is on my bk playlist). This got me to buy all the rest of his albums. Then I got into artists such as Todd Snider with the album "Songs For The Daily Planet" and Bob Dylan with "Blonde on Blonde" and The Beatles with "The Beatles" or The White Album. It changed my music (I play guitar now). It changed my lyrics that I write a WHOLE lot. And it changed how I live life thinking and making my own philosophies from other artists for better more rounded actions. It changed my life and I can thank the owner of this site for that. Thanks BK!

• Like 2