Sign in to follow this  
OldHat

Getting to know you

Forums are back!  These 8 questions are proven to define what kind of human you are.  Ben, you have to answer too.

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song?

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album?

5) West Coast or East Coast rap?

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle?

Nothing Happening

George

Nightrider

Blue

West Coast

Donatello

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? "Thirteen" - this was kindof a breakthrough song for me in that it doesnt even have a chorus yet still feels like a pop song. its pure emotion and love. i wrote verse after verse, each verse was scrawled on its own sheet of paper. i put all the pieces of paper on the floor of the recording studio (The Magic Shop, NYC) and started organizing the verses - putting them in the final order that you all know today.

2) Favorite member of the Beatles? John - that scream!

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song? "Telephone Line" - that chorus! 

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? Pinkerton - i saw them on the Pinkerton tour!!!! i was at the front of the barricade which we totally pushed over. then i was up against the stage, right in front of Matt Sharp. i could touch his foot i was so close. he was wearing white velcro shoes. best concert i ever saw as a teenager... this is the show! I'm somewhere up there in the front!!!  :)

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? East Coast before 1990, West Coast after 1990.

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle? Michelangelo - for me it's all about the nunchucks! 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ben said:

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? "Thirteen" - this was kindof a breakthrough song for me in that it doesnt even have a chorus yet still feels like a pop song. its pure emotion and love. i wrote verse after verse, each verse was scrawled on its own sheet of paper. i put all the pieces of paper on the floor of the recording studio (The Magic Shop, NYC) and started organizing the verses - putting them in the final order that you all know today.

2) Favorite member of the Beatles? John - that scream!

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song? "Telephone Line" - that chorus! 

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? Pinkerton - i saw them on the Pinkerton tour!!!! i was at the front of the barricade which we totally pushed over. then i was up against the stage, right in front of Matt Sharp. i could touch his foot i was so close. he was wearing white velcro shoes. best concert i ever saw as a teenager... this is the show! I'm somewhere up there in the front!!!  :)

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? East Coast before 1990, West Coast after 1990.

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle? Michelangelo - for me it's all about the nunchucks! 

Man, awesome insight on Thirteen.  And didn’t know you were a Weezer fan!

1. Red Eye is my favorite right now.
  2. Paul. Like BK, a lot of the music he writes just makes you feel good!
  3. I do love the structure of Mr. Blue Sky.
  4. The Blue Album. I didn't listen to much music that was played on the radio until high school, and that was a few years after this album. Now I've returned to listening to music that isn't on the radio. lol
  5. If you force my hand, I'd probably go with West Coast. I prefer Midwest Choppers, but then, I didn't listen to rap until the 00's. I'm still catching up.
  6. Donatello - I can't quit believing in the nerd in me.

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? I feel like this constantly changes....Penny on the Train Track

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  George. The dearest soul-- plus if you compare first solo albums All Things Must Pass wins by a landslide

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  Turn to Stone. What a pump up jam!

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? I love them both so desperately, but Blue Album just wins. THE HOOKS ARE UNDENIABLE.

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? East Coast, but only because Illmatic sways it so heavily

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle? Michaelangelo, but for the pizza

@wolfhoundjesse nice deep cut jam with "Red Eye"... there was a moment when The Trio On The Train Track (Me, Chris Morrissey, Mark Stepro) did incredible verisons of that song live. I believe it was when me and Gomez did a bunch of co-headlining dates together... ???what year was that??? anyway, we CRUSHED that song. we extended it into these epic blues jamz - "The Blues Jam" - something i've rarely embraced in my career but damn fun on stage...

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? In other words - Oh man, all is there: harmonies, rhythm changes, words (in other or not ;), and the last part: pause and then, so cosmic ! - after several listenings, I paid attention to the banjo/mandoline: luminous !    When the song is finished, I put it again, definitly one of the song I'll bring with me on an island !....   "it starts stopping when it stops stopping"

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  The beatles, better stronger together !  

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  I Don't know that band very well ... sorry... :$

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? I've missed Weezer... It was my full britpop period !   :)

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? The question is :   Is there texan rap ?? 

2 hours ago, Fluxcapacitor said:

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? In other words - Oh man, all is there: harmonies, rhythm changes, words (in other or not ;), and the last part: pause and then, so cosmic ! - after several listenings, I paid attention to the banjo/mandoline: luminous !    When the song is finished, I put it again, definitly one of the song I'll bring with me on an island !....   "it starts stopping when it stops stopping"

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  The beatles, better stronger together !  

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  I Don't know that band very well ... sorry... :$

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? I've missed Weezer... It was my full britpop period !   :)

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? The question is :   Is there texan rap ?? 

ELO is probably the most underrated band of all time.  Jeff Lynne (ELO lead singer and songwriter) was the fifth member of the Travelling Wilburys (Supergroup with George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, and Bob Dylan).  Such good rock!  Listen to these songs to get hooked:

Telephone Line

Mr Blue Sky

Sweet Talkin Woman

Can’t Get It Out Of My Head

Livin’ Thing

Then just listen to all of their albums...their catalogue is deep, and all the records are solid.

Edited by OldHat

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? Lizzy or Down depending on the day.  

2) Favorite member of the Beatles? George (My opinion he was the most talented)

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  Turn to Stone

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? Pinkerton

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? West Coast

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle? Michelangelo

On 2/8/2018 at 5:25 PM, OldHat said:

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song?  Probably Thirteen... it helps with relationship issues.

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  Paul

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  Surrender

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album?  Pinkerton... my brother had just bought the CD, and we had an hour long drive back from our dad's place... the album ended halfway through our drive, so we both looked at each other and agreed to let it play again.

5) West Coast or East Coast rap?  I guess east coast... gotta rep those roots.

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle?  Mikey, definitely.

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song?  Full Circle. Probably listened to that song 1000 times.

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  Paul. Flaming Pie is an amazing album. Underrated. 

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  Jungle. Jeff Lynne is such a legend. The BBC documentary filmed at his home studio is awesome. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album?  Brutal question...changes constantly but I'd probably go with Pinkerton. Although "My Name Is Jonas" is a classic intro song to an album. The first 20 seconds are so badass. Rivaled by "Burnout" on Dookie & "Maxwell Murder" on And Out Come the Wolves...  Those songs get down to business quickly and set a great tone early on for the albums.

5) West Coast or East Coast rap?  East I guess because Outkast is on the east side of the US...

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle?  Michelangelo 

Crazy thing about that pinkerton tour. That was my first concert ever, my bro and I met mykel and carli in line going into the concert. They tracked us down at the show and got us backstage (crazy moment) i ripped a poster off the wall and they signed it, still have it framed.....Nerf Herder poster still stuck to it

• Like 3

Yep. So thankful to have met them..so sad that they passed away not too long after that. Very nice people and they gave me a cool moment i will never forget

• Like 1

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song? Family Tree, no question.

2) Favorite member of the Beatles? I want to say George, but I know it’s Paul. 

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song? Livin’ Thing, pure swagger.  

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album? Maladroit. Just kidding, Blue Album. 

5) West Coast or East Coast rap? East coast rap, West coast living. 

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle? The one who used the daggers. 

• Like 1

I semi-recant my previous response to question #1....."No Reason" is on super loud right now and it's bringing the house down 

• Thanks 1

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song?  wasted & ready, but if i want to wallow in my own misery then the ballad of wendy baker for sure...  

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  george.

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  just.. cant.. do it...  reminds me of my dad with bad hair..

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album?  pinkerton

5) West Coast or East Coast rap?  why not dirty south???

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle?  miikey

9 hours ago, AlexDeeley said:

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle? The one who used the daggers. 

i think you mean raphael, in red, and those were sais

1 hour ago, natNmikol said:

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song?  wasted & ready, but if i want to wallow in my own misery then the ballad of wendy baker for sure...  

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?  george.

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?  just.. cant.. do it...  reminds me of my dad with bad hair..

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album?  pinkerton

5) West Coast or East Coast rap?  why not dirty south???

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle?  miikey

Your favorite Beatle is George but you hate ELO?  Jeff Lynne produced and co-wrote some Beatle solo stuff, as well as Tom Petty and Roy Orbison tunes.  George was a huge fan.  I urge you to listen to “A New World Record”...36 minute commitment...you will become a fan like John, George, Ringo, and Paul were...bad hair and all!

• Like 1

Hey!

-Not hate..Just a negative association? Ha. (Staying up too late as a child. Sleeping under pool tables? Doesn't sound too bad if I were back in college, though!) & I guess it doesn't have so much to do with the hair. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give it another listen. -Nat 

SN: But, I have to be honest...I am one of those douche'aroos that would choose 10 other albums before putting on the Beatles. O_o

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, natNmikol said:

Hey!

-Not hate..Just a negative association? Ha. (Staying up too late as a child. Sleeping under pool tables? Doesn't sound too bad if I were back in college, though!) & I guess it doesn't have so much to do with the hair. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give it another listen. -Nat 

SN: But, I have to be honest...I am one of those douche'aroos that would choose 10 other albums before putting on the Beatles. O_o

I want to sleep under a pool table!  Haha.  At least you like BK...that’s all that matters here.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, OldHat said:

1) Favorite Ben Kweller song?

2) Favorite member of the Beatles?

3) Favorite Electric Light Orchestra song?

4) Pinkerton or Blue Album?

5) West Coast or East Coast rap?

6) Favorite Ninja Turtle?

I am going to fail this test :/

1.) Lizzy has a special place in my heart

2.) Definitely Paul... He is the most prolific Beatle (30+ albums), and I love even the junk he puts out. Wings rivals the Beatles at points for me. But, I think an argument could easily be made for George. He didn't put out as much, especially as a Beatle, but when he released something, you knew it was going to blow your socks off.

3.) I don't really know much ELO... so I'll say "Heading for the Light" by the Wilburys

4.) Pinkerton... Blue is near perfect, but Pinkerton was life changing. 

5.) West Coast is best coast

6.) Wasn't a fan of the turtles! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OldHat said:

I want to sleep under a pool table!  Haha.  At least you like BK...that’s all that matters here.

Yeah! And 'Old Hat' is in my top 3 of tunes on Changing Horses!!